Text Only Glossary Of Terms Page -----
home . introduction
. world turtle database .
conservation resources . contact
- the upper, domed bony part of the shell that protects the
top of a turtle or tortoise. See also plastron.
- color line map
- a map in which the features are illustrated by using lines
of different colors. Road maps are a common example of this type of map.
- for "Graphics Interchange Format," a common image
format supported by most browsers. Legal controversy helped spawn the development
of the PNG format.
- the single specimen used in defining a taxonomic
group in the original published description.
- the chromosome profile of an individual. Useful in determining
possible relationships between individuals as well as chromosomal abnormalities
- land use map
- a map in which different colors are used to denote land-use
classifications, such as farmland, hardwood forests, or urban areas.
- the form and structure of an organism.
- original description
- the description of a taxonomic
group when first established.
- relating to the plastron.
- the lower bony part of the shell that protects the underside
of a turtle or tortoise. See also carapace.
- for "Portable Network Graphics," an image format
like GIF or TIFF. Now supported in the major browsers, older browsers may
require a plug-in to view PNG images. We use PNG graphics for dynamic images
to avoid legal issues and controversy surrounding the GIF format. Pronounced
- shaded relief map
- a map in which different elevations or topographic features
are colored and shaded, resulting in a three-dimensional effect.
- plural of taxon
- a group of organisims that are considered distinct enough
to be treated as a separate unit. As an example, the family Chelidae and
all subordinate members of that family would belong to the same taxon or
- taxonomic group
- any taxon, to include subordinate taxa.
- the single element of a taxon to which its name is permanently
associated, and on which the description or valid publication is based.
- type species
- the species designated as the type
of a genus or subgenus.
Copyright © 2000 The Terra Cognita