EMYSystem Text Only Species Page: Aspideretes hurum
home . introduction . world turtle database . conservation resources . contact us
order..........TESTUDINES (turtles, tortoises and terrapins)
family...........Trionychidae (Softshell Turtles)
subfamily.......Trionychinae (Common Softshell Turtles)
genus...............Aspideretes (Indian Softshell Turtles)
species..............Aspideretes hurum (Indian Peacock Softshell Turtle)
Note - informational or help links appear in red.
- Original Description
- Gray 1831a : 18
- Plate 66, Gray 1835 "1830-35".
- Type Locality
- "India"; "Indiae fluvio Ganges" [India] according to Gray (1831b:47); restricted to "Fatehgarh, Ganges" [India] by Smith (1931:171); restricted by Webb (1980a:71) to "Barrackpore (about 23 kilometers north Calcutta), West Bengal, India"
- Original name
- Trionyx hurum
- Common Name
- Indian Peacock Softshell Turtle
- Ganges-Brahmaputra river basin in eastern India and Bangladesh; single specimen from the Indus basin in Pakistan (Mertens, 1979) needs confirmation
- Reviewed by Smith (1931; as Trionyx hurum), Bourret (1941; as Trionyx hurum), Tikader and Sharma (1985; as Trionyx hurum), Meylan (1987), and Das (1991).
Additional Resources . . images . . maps . . resources . . . help
Copyright © 2000 The Terra Cognita Laboratory