EMYSystem Text Only Species Page: Chelodina novaeguineae
home . introduction . world turtle database . conservation resources . contact us
order..........TESTUDINES (turtles, tortoises and terrapins)
family...........Chelidae (Austro-American Side-necked Turtles)
genus...............Chelodina (Snake-necked Turtles)
species..............Chelodina novaeguineae (New Guinea Snake-necked Turtle)
Note - informational or help links appear in red.
- Original Description
- Boulenger 1888a : 450
- (2 specimens) MSNG C.E. 8407 and BMNH 19220.127.116.11 (figured in Boulenger 1889; plates V-VI).
- Type Locality
- "Katow" [= Mawatta, Binaturi River, Papua, New Guinea]
- Original name
- Chelodina novae-guineae
- Common Name
- New Guinea Snake-necked Turtle
- Northeastern Queensland and possibly northern Northern Territory, Australia; southwestern Papua New Guinea; Roti Island (van Lidth de Jeude, 1895:120).
- Reviewed by Cogger et al. (1983). The Roti Island population represents a distinct species according to A. G. J. Rhodin (pers. comm.), who is also describing another population in southeastern Papua New Guinea as a full species. Wells and Wellington (1985:11) named the Australian populations as Chelodina rankini without a diagnosis or adequate description; they also designated BMNH 1918.104.22.168 as the lectotype.
Additional Resources . . images . . maps . . resources . . . help
Copyright © 2000 The Terra Cognita Laboratory