EMYSystem Text Only Species Page: Chersina angulata
home . introduction . world turtle database . conservation resources . contact us
order..........TESTUDINES (turtles, tortoises and terrapins)
genus...............Chersina (Bowsprit Tortoises)
species..............Chersina angulata (South African Bowsprit Tortoise)
Note - informational or help links appear in red.
- Original Description
- Schweigger 1812 : 321
- Not designated, although in MNHN according to original description; a stuffed specimen received from the MNHN (SMF 7857) is not the specimen measured in Schweigger 1812, but may be a syntype according to Crumly pers. comm.; see also King and Burke 1989:71; MNHN 4087 is the syntype measured by Schweigger 1812:360, according to R. Bour pers. comm.
- Type Locality
- "Patria ignota" [= country unknown]
- Original name
- Testudo angulata
- Common Name
- South African Bowsprit Tortoise
- Namibia and Republic of South Africa
- Reviewed by Loveridge and Williams (1957), Greig and Burdett (1976), Boycott and Bourquin (1988), and Branch (in Swingland and Klemens, 1989).
Additional Resources . . images . . maps . . resources . . . help
Copyright © 2000 The Terra Cognita Laboratory