EMYSystem Text Only Species Page: Cistoclemmys flavomarginata
home . introduction . world turtle database . conservation resources . contact us
order..........TESTUDINES (turtles, tortoises and terrapins)
genus...............Cistoclemmys (Indo-Chinese Box Turtles)
species..............Cistoclemmys flavomarginata (Yellow-margined Box Turtle)
Note - informational or help links appear in red.
- Original Description
- Gray 1863a : 175
- (2 specimens) BMNH 19188.8.131.52; BMNH 19184.108.40.206
- Type Locality
- "China...; Formosa"; data with types are "Tamsuy, North West Formosa" [= Taiwan] and "China?", respectively, (see also Boulenger, 1889:135); listed as "Tamsui, Formosa" by Stejneger (1907:503) and Fang (1934:170), and formally restricted to "Tamsuy, NW-Formosa" by Mertens and Wermuth (1955:347).
- Original name
- Cistoclemmys flavomarginata
- Common Name
- Yellow-margined Box Turtle
- Southern China (PRC), Taiwan, and the Ryukyu Islands (Japan)
- Reviewed by Stejneger (1907; as Cyclemys flavomarginata), Smith (1931), Pope (1935; as Cyclemys flavomarginata), and McCord and Iverson (1991). The latter authors showed that the elevation of the Ryukyu Islands populations to the full species C. evelynae by Ernst and Lovich (1990:31) was not warranted; it is a weakly defined subspecies at best.
Additional Resources . . images . . maps . . resources . . . help
Copyright © 2000 The Terra Cognita Laboratory