EMYSystem Text Only Species Page: Elseya dentata
home . introduction . world turtle database . conservation resources . contact us
order..........TESTUDINES (turtles, tortoises and terrapins)
family...........Chelidae (Austro-American Side-necked Turtles)
genus...............Elseya (Australian Snapping Turtles)
species..............Elseya dentata (Northern Australian Snapping Turtle)
Note - informational or help links appear in red.
- Original Description
- Gray 1863b : 98
- (2 specimens) BMNH 19220.127.116.11; BMNH 1918.104.22.168
- Type Locality
- "N. Australia [Northern Territory]; Upper Victoria [River], in Beagle's Valley"
- Original name
- Chelymys dentata
- Common Name
- Northern Australian Snapping Turtle
- Australia: eastern Queensland (including Burnett and Fitzroy river basins), the Cape York Peninsula, Queensland, and Arnhem Land, Northern Territory to the Kimberley district, Western Australia
- Synonymy should include Platemys novaeguineae Meyer (1874; = Elseya novaeguineae) according to McDowell (1983), but a more thorough study is needed. Reviewed by Cogger et al. (1983). This taxon is apparently a composite of several distinct species according to John Legler (pers. comm.) and Georges and Adams (1989). Wells and Wellington (1985:12) named the Queensland population Elseya sterlingi, but without diagnosis or adequate description; they also designated BMNH 1922.214.171.124 as lectotype.
Additional Resources . . images . . maps . . resources . . . help
Copyright © 2000 The Terra Cognita Laboratory