EMYSystem Text Only Species Page: Kinosternon leucostomum
home . introduction . world turtle database . conservation resources . contact us
order..........TESTUDINES (turtles, tortoises and terrapins)
family...........Kinosternidae (American Mud and Musk Turtles)
subfamily.......Kinosterninae (American Mud and Musk turtles)
genus...............Kinosternon (American Mud and Musk Turtles)
species..............Kinosternon leucostomum (White-lipped Mud Turtle)
Note - informational or help links appear in red.
- Original Description
- Duméril and Bibron 1851 in Duméril & Duméril 1851 : 17
- (3 specimens) MNHN 2114; MNHN 9087 (= 8311); MNHN 9088; MNHN 8311 designated lectotype by Stuart 1963:49.
- Type Locality
- "N. Orleans; Mexique; Rio Sumasinta [= Usumacinta] (Amer. centr.)"; restricted to "Rio Usumacinta, El Peten, Guatemala," by Schmidt (1941:488); erroneously restricted to "Cosamaloapam, Veracruz" [Mexico] by Smith and Taylor (1950a:347 and 1950b:26)
- Original name
- Cinosternum leucostomum
- Common Name
- White-lipped Mud Turtle
- (Two maps) southern Veracruz, Mexico through Central America to western Colombia, western Ecuador, and possibly northwestern Peru
- Reviewed by Berry (1978) and Smith and Smith (1979). Includes K. spurrelli Boulenger (1913:1030) according to nearly every author since Berry (1978).
Additional Resources . . images . . maps . . resources . . . help
Copyright © 2000 The Terra Cognita Laboratory