EMYSystem Text Only Species Page: Macrochelys temminckii
home . introduction . world turtle database . conservation resources . contact us
order..........TESTUDINES (turtles, tortoises and terrapins)
family...........Chelydridae (Snapping Turtles)
genus...............Macrochelys (Alligator Snapping Turtles)
species..............Macrochelys temminckii (Alligator Snapping Turtle)
Note - informational or help links appear in red.
- Original Description
- Harlan 1835 : 158
- MNHN Laboratory of Comparative Anatomy No. A. 4540 (see Bour 1987:340-43 and Pritchard 1989:11-12); however, RMNH 6166, a large stuffed specimen of Macroclemys, is labelled "type" in the catalog, and was apparently sent by Troost from "Tennessee" according to Adler and Hoogmoed pers. comm.
- Type Locality
- tributary stream of the Mississippi, which enters the river above Memphis, in west Tennessee[USA]; restricted to the Wolf River, Shelby County, Tennessee, USA by Bour (1987:343).
- Original name
- Chelonura temminckii
- Common Name
- Alligator Snapping Turtle
- Gulf of Mexico drainages from the Suwannee River in Florida to the San Antonio River in Texas and north to southern Illinois, USA
- Reviewed by Pritchard (1989).
Additional Resources . . images . . maps . . resources . . . help
Copyright © 2000 The Terra Cognita Laboratory