EMYSystem Text Only Species Page: Phrynops vanderhaegei
home . introduction . world turtle database . conservation resources . contact us
order..........TESTUDINES (turtles, tortoises and terrapins)
family...........Chelidae (Austro-American Side-necked Turtles)
genus...............Phrynops (Toad-headed Turtles)
species..............Phrynops vanderhaegei (Vanderhaege's Toad-headed Turtle)
Note - informational or help links appear in red.
- Original Description
- Bour 1973 : 184
- MNHN 1977-50; photograph in Bour and Pauler 1987:22.
- Type Locality
- "probablement les environs d'Asunción au Paraguay" [= near Asunción, Paraguay]; restricted to "Tobati (25° 15'S, 57° 04'W), La Cordillera, Paraguay" by Bour and Pauler (1987:10).
- Original name
- Phrynops tuberculatus vanderhaegei
- Common Name
- Vanderhaege's Toad-headed Turtle
- Rio Parana basin in southern Brazil, Paraguay and northern Argentina; possibly also in Uruguay and Bolivia
- Subgenus Batrachemys. Considered by Wermuth and Mertens (1977:133) to be a subspecies of Phrynops tuberculatus and by McDiarmid and Foster (1987) to be a subspecies of Phrynops gibbus; however, Bour and Pauler (1987:10) have argued for full species status.
Additional Resources . . images . . maps . . resources . . . help
Copyright © 2000 The Terra Cognita Laboratory