EMYSystem Text Only Species Page: Pseudemys rubriventris
home . introduction . world turtle database . conservation resources . contact us
order..........TESTUDINES (turtles, tortoises and terrapins)
family...........Emydidae (Pond Turtles)
genus...............Pseudemys (Cooter Turtles)
species..............Pseudemys rubriventris (American Red-bellied Turtle)
Note - informational or help links appear in red.
- Original Description
- LeConte 1829 : 101
- A specimen in the MNHN is being designated as lectotype by R. Bour pers. comm.
- Type Locality
- "in rivers from New-Jersey to Virginia, . . . in such as are rocky; in the Delaware, near Trenton" [USA]; stated as "Delaware River, near Trenton, New Jersey" [USA] by Schmidt (1953:103)
- Original name
- Testudo rubriventris
- Common Name
- American Red-bellied Turtle
- Eastern Massachusetts and central New Jersey to northeastern North Carolina, USA
- Subgenus Ptychemys. See Comments under Pseudemys nelsoni and P. alabamensis. The Massachussetts population, named P. r. bangsi by Babcock (1937:293), is not taxonomically distinguishable according to Iverson and Graham (1990). Reviewed by Graham (1991).
Additional Resources . . images . . maps . . resources . . . help
Copyright © 2000 The Terra Cognita Laboratory