EMYSystem Text Only Species Page: Pelusios seychellensis
home . introduction . world turtle database . conservation resources . contact us
order..........TESTUDINES (turtles, tortoises and terrapins)
family...........Pelomedusidae (Afro-American Side-necked Turtles)
genus...............Pelusios (African Hinged Terrapins)
species..............Pelusios seychellensis (Seychelles Mud Turtle)
Note - informational or help links appear in red.
- Original Description
- Siebenrock 1906a : 38
- (3 specimens) ZMH R00982; ZMH R00983; NMW 13247 (listed as type by Broadley 1981b:655 and as lectotype by Bour 1983:353).
- Type Locality
- "Seychelles"; restricted to "Seychelles; Mahé" by Siebenrock (1909b:362); erroneously listed as "Gloriosa Island, Seychelles" by Loveridge (1941:493), Laurent (1965:29), and Iverson (1986b:248), as "Gloriosa Island, Seychellen" by Wermuth and Mertens (1961:291) and as "Insel Gloriosa, Seychelles" by Wermuth and Mertens (1977:117).
- Original name
- Sternothaerus nigricans seychellensis
- Common Name
- Seychelles Mud Turtle
- Seychelles Islands; known only from the syntypes
- Reviewed by Bour (1983). Considered synonymous with P. castaneus by Wermuth and Mertens (1977:117).
Additional Resources . . images . . maps . . resources . . . help
Copyright © 2000 The Terra Cognita Laboratory